Monday, August 07, 2006

The Watershed Diet: Week Three, Day Four

In my fourth day eating all local foods, the biggest challenge has been not reaching for quick-and-easy processed ready-to-eat food. It is not the taste I am craving, but the mindless convenience. When it is an easy three minutes to a yummy veggie burger (versus chopping and steaming green beans and carrots) when the stomach moves and moans, it can seem like a reasonable option.

But tonight, after a big bowl of vegetable chowder with local corn, broccoli, carrots, green beans, onions, garlic, potatoes and milk, I am silly with satisfaction.

But I am also worried that after my three week Watershed Diet, I will go back to my usual habits. My simple experiment while my husband was out of town has turned me into a convert.

I thought that Brad and I were pretty good about eating local foods. We are even part of a group that is planning a Great Lakes Bioneers Pre-Conference event all about relocalization. What I have come to realize is that we pay a lot of attention to what is local, but very little attention to what is not. We are proud and boastful about our coffee, tea, beer, bread, and CSA, but do not give much thought to the ingredients and travel of our tofu dogs (at least I don't).

This experience will change the way I feel about, look at, and eat food. But I don't know just how yet.

No comments: